“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Monday 22 April 2013

Weekend trip to the Yarra Valley...be warned it's a long post!

I always find it difficult to write a post after I've had a break. Maybe it's because everything moves so fast these days, that before I know it I've collected so much information and photographs that I'd like to share, that it seems too big a task. Plus then I'm also aware that I'll probably take up too much of your time, but I would like to take you on a wine tasting trip to the Yarra Valley, which is about an hours' drive out of Melbourne.



As the sun rose on our first morning...this was the sight that greeted us.

Are where located right in the centre of the vineyard... D'vine vineyard studio accomodation

(photo courtesy of D'vine Escape)

On that first morning we had a good wander around the vineyard and came across a very tranquil spot.


This particular vineyard accommodates wedding ceremonies.
This water feature must be a favourite with the wedding photographers....

There's even a bandstand or should that be a pavilion?
I love the refection in the water photo below...it's something I'd like to learn how to paint one day...

 
We were so lucky with the weather (yet again) considering we've moved into autumn now.

As we wondered around the grounds I did not expect to see this...I haven't a clue what tram stop this is, but what a cool idea to be used as additional accommodation for guests.
I can imagine it would be perfect for children.
Here's the internal view...bunk beds one end and a double bed at the other with a living area in the centre.


All aboard!






And here's the wedding chapel located within the vineyard...adorned with red roses too.

We did see a wedding party the next day, so I was glad I'd had chance to snoop without hindrance. See the lengths that I go for you...nothing is too much trouble ;D

I snook inside and took a few photos too...I'm always unsure whether this is the right thing to do, but I did it anyway on this occasion.
Once I saw that bell that was it...(I have a thing about church bells)
I couldn't resist...I had to ring it! Numerous times...lol
It sounded really good too!

So on to the vineyards and lots of wine tasting! After all that's what this weekend was all about.
 I've attached a map so you can see just how many wineries and vineyard are available in quite a small area.

 As you drive through the sweeping vineyards and rolling hills of the Yarra Valley you can't help but be impressed and diversions call to you from the usual wine tour route. You can discover the hidden secrets and pure delight of the smaller wineries. 
Family owned and run, these unassuming wineries offer a very different experience and it's not uncommon for the smile who greets you at the door to be that of the winemaker or vigneron whose creation you are about to savour. It really adds to the whole experience.
 Over recent years the popularity and reputation of the Yarra Valley has grown. Determined not to be overshadowed, a group of smaller wineries banded together to create the Yarra Valley Smaller Wineries Association...a group whose combined range extends to a number of different styles from the handcrafted Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Cabernet and Shiraz for which the Yarra Valley is celebrated, to other styles such as Sparkling, Rose and Fortified wines.

I mean look at the views...and to think it's all so near to Melbourne. 
We actually went on a guided wine tasting tour because let's face it...wine tasting!
Yes please....but that doesn't mix with driving obviously.
So it's such a great idea to have the driving done for you because lets face it, it would have just got ugly to have to work out who was to be the designated driver!

We don't usually do organised tours...more wanting to do our own thing...to our own timetable, but I have to say the tour we took was exceptional and considering we are not the type of wine tasters who spit out samples...(I mean what's that about?)...being chauffeured from vineyard to vineyard worked brilliantly.

Here's our tour guide..The lovely 'Elaine' from Wild Wombat Winery Tours who really did organise our day perfectly. Upon collecting us after breakfast from our room, she checked with everyone on the tour just what they expected or wanted out of their tour and then she delivered....so that everyone got the most out of the day. We even were presented with a little gift at the end of the day.

Let me just state here and now that we all behaved impeccably and there were no mishaps or embarrasing episodes throughout the whole proceedings!
Okay...glad that's clear.
 Our first port of call was to the Allinda Winery which was a lovely little place with fantastic views. Well I suppose all of the vineyards have brilliant views because most are set on a hillside and spread over acres of land. It was really quaint and the rustic cellar door was constructed of recycled 1883 wool store timbers. 
This chap below...whoops forgot his name...I hope he will forgive me...was so knowledgeable and his enthusiasm was infections.
Oh by the way, if you're wondering if we actually bought any wine then my answer would be...is the pope a catholic?....Do bears..in the woods?....you get my drift...of course we bought samples...it would be rude not to wouldn't it?


Next stop was to Graeme Miller.
Graeme Miller is a pioneer of the rebirth of the region and a Jimmy Watson trophy winner. 
(FYI...The Jimmy Watson Memorial Trophy is the most prestigious and sought after wine award in Australia. The trophy is a memorial to the late Jimmy Watson (died 1962), who established the iconic Jimmy Watson's Wine Bar in Lygon Street, Carlton, a suburb of Melbourne. The trophy is awarded annually at the Royal Melbourne Wine Show to the producer of the best one or two year old, dry, red wine).

This winery was fantastic to actually see the process in operation. I'd only just remarked that it's such a shame that you don't get to see how it all works when visiting the cellar doors...they normally just have a sampling bar set away from where the action takes place. I like to see how it all comes about I have to admit.


Don't you just love those huge barrels...well I do anyway! Someone on our tour actually bought an empty one and arranged to collect it the next day to take home for an al fresco bar table. Cool!

And here's the expert...answering all our questions. Mr Graeme Miller himself!
Winemaker & Viticulturist Graeme Miller is one of the pioneers of the 1960s/70s rebirth of the Yarra Valley as a wine region. In 1971 he established Chateau Yarrinya at Dixons Creek, which he sold to the De Bortoli family in 1987. He began planting  Dixons Creek Estate in 1988, a kilometre from his original site. Winner of the 1978 Jimmy Watson trophy, Graeme made a return to winemaking at Dixons Creek Estate because of his belief in regional difference and the Yarra Valley as an excellent wine producing area.
Graeme built the winery on the new site and finally opened cellar door there in 2005. He is working to produce long lived wines, not dominated by alcohol, and which reflect the subtle depth and complexity that the Yarra Valley , as a cool climate region, can produce.
Note the aboriginal artwork behind. We've actually got a similar painting in our store room. It's never actually been hung on our wall because my hubby chose it himself (first mistake) and it was bush tucker...which basically depicts grubs! (second mistake)
Now don't get me wrong I love aboriginal artwork and in fact sometimes I think my ink drawings have a slight resemblance especially with all of those dots...but our painting is mainly brown and has grubs all over it! 
Not my cup of tea I'm afraid, but I did tell my hubby not to buy but he just went away and did it anyway (third mistake)...so it'll stay where it is for now.
Sorry I digress...

So back to the wine tasting...

...or should I say a quick tasting this time...in order to make our choice of wine to accompany our gourmet lunch at Mandala Wines.

 (Photo courtesy of Manadal wines...I must have been too busy eating and drinking because I now realise I never took a photo)

Mandala is one of the newer cellar doors and the Yarra Valley.
They are a two family-owned vineyard.
The 20-year old vines at Dixon's Creek contrast with the cooler higher-altitude vineyards at Yarra Junction, which is exclusively planted to pinot noir.
We enjoyed a sumptuous lunch in the restaurant that has 180 degree views through the glass walled spaces before moving on to our next venue.

Now don't laugh but I can't remember the name of the next winery!
It's true and I feel so bad about that. I've searched extensively and can't find it!
I'll try to find out and come back to add it in...I know this was our fourth stop, but even so I should have noted the name at least.
Ahh ha....see as promised I have returned with the name of the winery...
thanks to Yvette from Wild Wombat tours...yet again saving the day!
It's Yering Station of course!
Set in the historical winery building (circa 1859), the Cellar Door encapsulates the synergy between wine, food, knowledge and sensory experience.
The Tasting Bar allows you to experience wines with the support and skill of knowledgeable and passionate young team. Yering Station produces fifteen styles of wine under six distinctive wine labels.

This was to a larger commercial organisation with lots of products on sale other than wine. They had a gallery for displaying artwork too...as well as a huge range of shop products from soap to seeds with everything including chocolate and coffee in-between!
Maybe that's why I never actually took in the name...I was too busy tasting and making sure I didn't miss anything. 

As you can see it is a very popular way to spend the day...and who would believe that there are so many experts about ;D
This huge space used to house the barrels back in the day and the cellar is below which is no longer used unfortunately due to flooding.

Note: I didn't see one person on the whole weekend trip spit into the receptacles provided...I'm just saying!


I loved this display and no they are not all of our empties!
I wish the label was on show and then I could have seen the name. 

 
After seeing all of the lovely chocolate products on offer here...
and I have to confess I have to have a good portion of chocolate when drinking red wine 
(I have no idea why I just do...any excuse but then I know I have a problem...okay I'm a chocoholic!) 
Anyway 'Elaine' heard the females' plea for chocolate and commented that there just happened to be a Chocolaterie nearby!!!! 
OH JOY!
She then made a very quick detour realising that our need for a chocolate fix was a serious issue! 
Chocolaterie and Ice Creamery here we come...I could have died and gone to heaven...

I love these peek through window places that show the whole process and I could watch for hours...but the bus was on a schedule and this stop wasn't on it...so with record speed I whipped thorough the whole building, filling my basket like a champion supermarket sweeper
(does anyone other than me remember that TV programme or have I just really confused everyone?)
I'm not sure I'd want to kiss this chocolate frog...but I'd certainly eat him!

Imagine finding this on your Easter egg hunt...how fantastic would that be?

And guess what? There's free samples just sitting there for everyone to try....okay I was spotted at this particular counter three times, but in my defence I wasn't as bad as the woman who poured the buttons into her pockets!!! I KID YOU NOT! Now she had a problem!
(she wasn't on our tour by the way)



Oh would you believe it...now I want some chocolate! 
Once again I need to clarify I did purchase and not just devoured the free samples.
Our last stop was at the Yarrawood Winery (phew...I remember the name) which is perched on the crest of a hill overlooking the picturesque vineyard and the Yarra Valley below.


We bought a beautiful bottle of Tall Tales Botrytis Riesling.
I could write all the attributes written on the back of the label but suffice to say...I liked it!
And so finally feeling my tastebuds were shot we headed back to our accommodation....for a well earned rest.
Okay...a good snooze! But we had worked so hard surely we deserved it!

Here's the keeper of the vineyard...keeping a close eye on everything.
And so the day came to a close...but not before putting on a stunning display.

I hope you enjoyed your trip to the Yarra Valley...
I'm still working my way through all of my photographs from our South Island trip to New Zealand but hope to post them soon.
In the meantime, have a great week...maybe even participating in a little drop of red or wine along the way.
Chat again soon https://secure.quebles.com/content/hotmail/emoticons/1508618.gif

16 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a fantastic and very interesting weekend, glad you had fun! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did indeed Valerie,
      I'm glad you enjoyed coming along with us ;D
      Have a great week whatever you have planned. Mine's fully booked but then what's new?
      Have fun! :D

      Delete
  2. What a trip down memory lane for me. Hubby and I love wineries and feel really blessed that most of our states have regional wines of such outstanding quality. I also love the region known as Coonawarra in South Australia and here in WA we have the Margaret River region which is to die for! I love it when they have a roaring fire going as well... a good feed, a good drop... Yes Sir... that's my idea of a great time.

    Have a great week! xx

    PS - I agree about the Indigenous artwork ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I have such wonderful memories of the Margaret River, Angy. My hubby and I took a winery river cruise there once. It was fabulous and we have such wonderful memories of our time there.
      We certainly seem to have the same tastes because I totally agree with the roaring fire etc etc...what more do you need?
      Thanks for popping over. I hope to see you soon ;D
      Have a great week in the meantime. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Looks like you had a wonderful time. The vineyard is beautiful. I, of course, like the chocolate best. :).

    If you are ever in the US, Chattanooga, TN has a hotel called the Chattanooga Choo Choo. They have several
    rooms made from train cars. I think it would be fun to stay overnight in one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Boo,
      We did have a wonderful time thanks. I think I might have to agree with you...the chocolaterie was extremely good and possible the highlight to my day! ;D
      That hotel sounds great fun.
      Have a wonderful week with lots of creativity :D
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed this trip sooooo much, I really did, where are we going next!
    I like the keeper of the garden too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Laurie, if I can work my way through the hundreds of photographs we will have a trip to the South Island of New Zealand. That is if you're up to it. The weather was fantastic so don't pack too many wintery clothes ;D
      I'll send you another photo of the keeper from the front view. He is wonderful and does a great job!
      Have a great week and hopefully that snow will have disappeared! It's time it did :D
      Chat again soon xoxo

      Delete
  5. Oh, I LOVED being taken along!! This was such a joy and I don't even drink--LOL! Every single picture was perfect. I would have gone broke in the chocolate shop--lol! Only problem--now I have this desire to see the infamous brown grub painting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither Rita (Hic!) ;D
      Thank you for saying such lovely things about my photos. I am enjoying getting back into photography and now need to think about upgrading my camera but I'm so attached to my old one...we've come along way. It's a very sad specimen now with it's battery door stuck up with tape, no lens cap and a lens that has a tendancy to pop out when you least expect it to.
      I'm amazed I can take any photos at all!
      I had to be very restrained in the choccy shop because of the time...which my hubby was very thankful about ;D
      Considering what little time we did have I did remarkably well!
      I'm not sure whether the brown grubs will see the light of day. I'll have to think about that one...it may well put you off your lunch!
      Have a great week and thanks again for stopping by xoxo

      Delete
  6. so fun to see your pics!! make me want a glass of wine! :) And some chocolate. That last photo of the sunset is stunning. Makes me long for summer skies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed your little trip with me Cat,
      That was an exceptional sunset which unfortunately I can't take any credit for...nature sometimes pulls all the stops out! ;D
      I hope summer comes visiting you soon...in the meantime keep busy painting summer. I'm sure it will help.
      Maybe a quick trip to New Zealand might help...that's coming up soon.
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. The blog was absolutely fantastic! Lot of great information which can be helpful in some or the other way. Keep updating the blog, looking forward for more contents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Neesie, what a trip!! - and all that chocolate!! A great selection of pictures - and thanks for the map. My own aunt and uncle live in Chirnside park near Lilydale - it was good to find it there. What is the scale of the map? Are they all big areas - never managed to visit them...
    Enjoy your week.
    Margaret (glitterandglue www.artycraftystuff.webeden.co.uk)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Margaret,
      I'm sorry to take so long in replying to your comment...it's just been silly here, which I'll tell you about in a post soon. But for now thanks for stopping by...I really appreciate it.

      I'm afraid that I can't help with the scale of the map. Unfortunately I think I threw the map away once I finished writing the post.
      I collect so much info when I travel that if I kept everything then we'd be knee deep in paperwork ;D

      Have a wonderful weekend and thanks for sharing your aunt and uncles details. (We have travelled through Lilydale numerous times and even stopped off for the Sunday market on our way back through from this particular trip. It was excellant) :D

      Delete

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...